Monday, May 24, 2010

Summers Comin....

Summer temps are here finally. School is out at the end of this week. The kids are all buzzing around with the sweet anticipation of summer break. Camps are soon upon us. Drivers Ed for the first time...we just got a trampoline, so there will be lots of bouncing going on. Looking forward to summer fun, makes me stop to remember what summers were to me as a child. My birthday is in the summer, right by the 4th of July, so I always loved that. My fondest memories were of being in Indiana. One of my first years going there, I guess I was about 11... I learned how to play Canasta and from then on...I loved spending long summer evenings playing cards. I learned that I ws terrified of thunnderstorms ( not so much anymmore), those were all new to this California girl. I fell in-love with the Grease movies and learned every word to every song....Swinging on the porch swing...water balloon fights. There was a small-town theater company called The Nettle Creek Players, they used to put on about 4 musicals every summer and it was my mission to see them all. What a blast....I learned to love musicals from those summers. The real show started after the nightly performance though, as the players were all housed, dorm style, in the house right next to my grandmothers. This made for lots of entertainment. Me and my sweet friend would spend evenings running from one window to the next spying on all of their partying. Then there was the summer we decided to only speak in pig-latin, oh boy....what fun memories.

I hope the kids enjoy summer in ways beyond late night XBOX gaming. I want to encourage them to make lifelong memories that will make them smile and laugh for years to come. I look forward to posting our summer adventures and silly tales. It is time for life to slow down a bit. Maybe I will teach them Canasta......

No comments:

Post a Comment